Are “Little” Shocks OK?

RV Safety

Are “Little” Shocks OK?

A question from a reader:

I have a Safari 40′ DP and every time I plug into shore power I feel a shock when touching any metal on the RV. For instance, if I open the under bay door and touch the inside latch I get zapped. Can anyone tell me what would make this happen. Is it really dangerous since it’s only a “little” shock?

Thanks in advance,

“Shocking Blue”

[continue reading...]

Future Shock

No~Shock~Zone Tour Information Coming Soon

Musician Safety

Stage Electrical Safety – Part II: Meters Stage Electrical Safety – Part II: Meters

In Part I of this No~Shock~Zone Stage series you learned what voltage is and a bit on how it’s measured. In this article we’ll cover how to use a basic digital voltmeter to measure any power outlet or extension cord for proper voltage. The reason this procedure is so important is that sometimes venues do crazy things with power outlets.

Stage Electrical Safety — Part 1: Volts Stage Electrical Safety — Part 1: Volts

Most musicians really don’t want to learn about electrical engineering, or even how basic electricity works. Everyone, however, should learn how to test for and avoid electric shocks on stage. With that in mind, there are some novel ways to think about and teach basic electricity to the musician and technician.

Musician Shock Survey in Progress Musician Shock Survey in Progress

We’re running a survey on ProSoundWeb to find out just how many musicians have been shocked by a guitar or mic. Please help us find out how big a problem this is by responding to this 10-second survey.

General

The No~Shock~Zone ™ The No~Shock~Zone ™

It started with a simple shock. I tried to stop a lawnmower engine when I was 10 years old by pulling off the spark plug wire with my bare hands. Now, more than four decades later I can still remember feeling like a big hand slammed me to the ground. That was my first lesson about the force of electricity and what it feels like to be shocked.